Car Boot Vinyl Diaries

Car Boot Vinyl Diaries

Thursday 1 November 2012

Out Of Time

On holiday from work this week, I paid a visit to Out Of Time Records, an independent shop in Ipswich that deals in secondhand music; the only such place for miles around.

To my shame I hadn't been in here for about ten years, and in the intervening time had assumed it had closed, what with the recession badly affecting the high street and also the plight of record shops in particular.  I happened to stumble across its website a couple of weeks ago and was delighted to see it still going after 25-odd years of serving music fans.

Out Of Time Records, 46 Fore Street, Ipswich, Suffolk

It's packed tight with racks of CDs and vinyl from tons of genres and decades, with rows of DVDs and cassettes on shelves.  Music posters and album sleeves cover up any remaining wall space and piles of yet-to-be filed vinyl perch on the floor by the counter.  It was in one of these piles that I found a copy of Patti Smith's 1975 debut Horses.


Patti Smith - Horses (1975)

Plus I got a few CDs that had been on my to-get list for a while:




Out Of Time Records (also known as Out Of Town Records, as it's away from the main drag) seems to be surviving due to excellent, varied stock, sensible prices and that fact that it's a rare oasis in a desert of soulless internet shopping and now almost CD-less HMVs.  The above purchases came to £22.84 (all in spanking condition) and the friendly, helpful proprietor rounded this down to a flat £20.  I could have spent hours in there, and certainly more money, but due to a sofa/foot interface last Saturday evening I am now rocking a walking stick and my toe was ready to go well before I was!

If you're ever in the Ipswich area please have a look in, so it stands a chance of another 25 years.  Info. here:  http://www.outoftimerecords.com/  and  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Out-Of-Time-Records/170012253018951?ref=stream


No comments:

Post a Comment